Global Day of Coderetreat is a world-wide event celebrating passion and software craftsmanship. Last year, over 5000 passionate software developers in 200 cities around the world registered to spend the day practicing the craft of software development using the coderetreat format. For more details please visit http://globalday.coderetreat.org/.
What's it about?
In our day to day jobs we have the sense of wanting to get it done, that causes to rush. And so we try to cut corners, but sometimes we do not cut the corners in the best way because we do not know enough.
During a code retreat we use pair-programming, which is wonderful because you can learn a lot from each other. We write our code using TDD and the known design rules. We focus purely on writing beautiful code; there is no pressure to actually produce a working solution for the problem.
We have a simple(-ish) problem to solve in different ways. It's Conway's Game of Life.
- There will be 45 minutes sessions:
- Pair-programming is necessary, as the knowledge transfer contained in that activity is essential to the practice
- Each session will have some kind of fun limitation on what we are allowed or not to use in our programming
- After each session, code must be deleted! (Code goes bye-bye and we can start from scratch with new ideas)
- Prefer using Test-Driven Development (TDD)
- After each session, pairs should be swapped
This coderetreat is language agnostic, the main principles are the same for each language.
So what can you learn at this event?
- Experience pair programming with strangers
- Experiment with whatever programming languages you want
- Write code how you like not how your boss tells you to
- Meet other passionate programmers like you
Cloud Horizon, Bulevar Zorana Đinđića 83, 5th floor, apartment 13
November 14th, 2015. 9:30 - 18:00
So if you wish to join for a full day or just for a couple of sessions, feel free to reserve a place on meetup website.
Event Facilitator: Ivan Ćurković (tw: @ivan_curkovic)
Organizer: JSBelgrade (http://www.jsbelgrade.org/)
Sponsors: Cloud Horizon (http://www.cloudhorizon.com/)